Video of Foossa co-founder David Colby Reed and myself at the StoryForward NYC Storytelling for Social Good panel in November with Ram Devineni, Andrea Phillips, and Dan Bigman.
I regularly teach a Transformative Storytelling workshop organized by BeSocialChange at the Centre for Social Innovation in New York City. I wrote this post as a resource for former and prospective students, as well as anybody else interested in the subject matter. You will find an outline of what we cover in the workshop as well as links to resources below.
Join Be Social Change on Monday, May 11th from 7PM to 9PM for Transformative Storytelling – Using Narrative to Communicate, Inspire, and Activate Your Community with Lee-Sean Huang, Cofounder and Creative Director of Foossa. Register now using coupon code LeeSean25 to get 25% off.
Storytelling is more than a marketing tool. It’s a management tool.
In this class, we uncover the narrative structures and strategies used by social change practitioners and entrepreneurs for building community and inspiring action. This is a workshop for makers and social entrepreneurs who want to strengthen their skills in storytelling to transform themselves, their teams, and their broader communities. Storytelling is a powerful tool for building a shared identity, for facilitating mutual understanding, and for facilitating collective action.
We will draw upon successful storytelling methodologies and strategies from the fields of social activism, marketing, and the arts. We will examine and decode examples of successful (and not so successful) storytelling. This class will get “hands on” with activities and exercises that will encourage participants to practice their new storytelling skills.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN
- Why storytelling is important for social change
- What are the essential elements and structures of a good story
- How to find and craft compelling stories
- How to adapt and refine your storytelling
- What are some of the possible applications of storytelling
- How to integrate one’s personal and professional stories
- How to use stories to stand out in a crowd
- How to imbue stories with values and emotion
WHO THIS CLASS IS FOR
- Professionals, entrepreneurs, creatives, and communications strategists/marketers ready to focus on company and brand storytelling
- Professionals who have an idea for a project, organization or business that will drive change
- Professionals who already use storytelling in their work looking to find ways to systematize and refine their approach
- Professionals curious about how storytelling can enrich their work.
Last week I spent a few days in Mexico City to give a workshop on Transformative Storytelling and to mentor startup founders at the Smart Impact Accelerator. Here are some things that I learned from my visit:
- Many of the startup concepts from the groups that I mentored were derivative ideas of things that already exist elsewhere, whether they relate to e-commerce, social enterprise, or education. But that’s ok. It’s all about the execution anyway, and how the startups can learn to leverage their specific local knowledge and expertise to make their ventures work here in Mexico.
- There is a small but scrappy startup scene down here. The Mexican government is also putting money into supporting innovation.