After presenting the Spirit Animal Ecosystem today in Animals class and receiving some feedback from the class, I assembled a list of ways to improve our ecosystem:
- Larger scale or “more real estate” as Marina put it. We should think outside the limits of our original Photoshop file that was projected on a screen and think more in terms of a large-format high resolution printed work. This would allow for more space to show the context and habitat that each of the animals inhabit. It would also allow us to depict more than one version of each of the animals, doing different things at different points in time, like a medieval painting or tapestry that shows the same characters at different points in time in the same frame. In a way, we already did this with Jill’s character, the Swallow, which is only one character, but shows up many times in the scroll graphic. With more room, we could do this with the other characters.
- Better integration of the narrative story with the graphic work. More space and larger scale would definitely make this easier to pull off. Or perhaps several different panels. Instead of producing a taxonomy diagram like other groups, we decided to express the relationship of the four characters in the narrative, but we could perhaps integrate more elements of the story into the actual graphic.
- We wrote the story AFTER we made the Photoshop piece. Perhaps we should have done things the other way around…