Arugula Persimmon Pear Salad
1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1 shallots, minced
1 small pear or 1/2 of a regular sized pear
2 handfuls of lightly toasted walnuts
1 bunch of arugula
Salt and pepper to taste
Mix mustard, lemon, olive oil and shallots in bowl. Add sliced persimmon, pear, walnuts and arugula, mix until uniformly distributed. Shave Parmesan cheese atop, season to taste with salt and pepper.
This salad is one of my current obsessions. I just can’t get enough of this stuff. It’s a real orgy of flavors, with tangy, creamy blue cheese gettin’ it on with the nutty walnuts, peppery arugula, sweet fig preserves and crunchy croûtons. (Recipe below)
Ingredients (serves 2):
- Two handfuls of a baguette or other crusty bread cut into 1-inch cubes (This is a great way of using up your day-old leftover bread)
- One handful of raw walnut halves
- One clove of garlic, finely chopped
- Three or four handfuls of arugula, washed and thoroughly dried
- One or two green onions, thinly sliced
- One handful of blue cheese, crumbled, or cut into little cubes
- Extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt & pepper to taste
- Fig preserves (I used the sun-dried fig jam preserve from Mymouné)
- Put the bread cubes, walnuts and garlic in a mixing bowl. Season well with salt and pepper. Mix in some olive oil to lightly coat the bread and walnuts.
- Transfer the mixture to an oven-proof baking dish and bake in a 425 degree F oven (220 Celsius) for 10 minutes, or until the garlic is cooked through and the bread is crunchy. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly.
- Mix together ingredients 4 to 6 in a bowl. Add the bread and walnut mixture. Season with a bit more salt and pepper, and dress with a bit of olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Toss.
- Transfer the salad to a plate and top with some dollops of fig preserve. Serve immediately